• question-icon

What causes right-sided discomfort in the back while suffering from constipation?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I have constipation, and I feel discomfort on the right side of my back....I also have anxiety issues,,,might this be all inter-related ?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not likely to be related, Lactulose syrup for constipation

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns.

Constipation can be the cause why you are feeling discomfort at the right side of your back. Another cause of such discomfort can be kidney problems which should be associated with pain or burning sensation during urination. this should be diagnosed by a urine analysis and a pelvic ultrasound.

As for constiaption, it should be treated with lactulose syrup three times daily. To avoid its recurrence you should make sure you drink enough fluids daily (at least 8 cups, one of them should be orange juice).

Also, you should increase the diet content of your food as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. exercising daily for 30-40 minutes also helps regulate the peristalsis movement of the digestive tract.

As for the anxiety issues, you should follow the cognitive therapy which includes identifying the trigger factor of your anxiety episode, analyzing the thought or situations that trigger your anxiety then replacing them with positive thoughts instead of the negative ones.

I hope I answered your question.
Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman