What causes right sided chest pain followed by coughing up blood?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My boyfriend is 48 years old. He was a professional baseball player & runs a travel baseball organization & gives hitting lessons everyday. He's in pretty good shape, but about 30# overweight. The last few days he's complained of pain on his right side up by his rib cage, & some difficulty taking a deep breath. Today he said he was coughing up blood. I'm very worried- He refuses to go to the Dr. & has no ins. Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A proper diagnostic work up is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Right sided chest pain followed by coughing up blood can be due to any inflammatory process in lungs. First thing to rule out is tuberculosis. Even bronchitis or lung abscess rupture also can give such symptoms.

Chest X ray and sputum AFB test will be helpful in ruling out this. X ray should be taken in two projections- PA and lateral.
Routine blood count and ESR should be taken. ESR will be elevated in case of TB also.
Is he a chronic smoker? Is he having any low grade fever or malaise?

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Nishad BN