What causes right-sided abdominal pain radiating around the stomach and back?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband is having pain for two days in his right hip/abdomen area that sometimes radiates around his stomach in the front and the back. His only relief is sitting still or lying still. Getting up and down is painful and walking is difficult. Sometimes the right leg gives on him.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs Proper diagnosis at the earliest for a proper management.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history about your husband and understood the concerns.
The history as noted indicate that the problems may either be muscular spasm or a problem related to spine causing all the symptoms as mentioned. And in addition can not take Advil, aspirin and such NSAIDs as he is on Epiquis.
Hence I would advise him the following:
Clinical evaluation, examination and investigations to know the exact cause.
Please take him to the Doctor or ER for getting the clinical diagnosis so that further investigations as advised , say for example MRI can help to pin-point the cause as getting the correct diagnosis is very important considering the past history.

I hope this answer helps you both the get the proper diagnosis at the earliest.
Please give feedback and feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 36 minutes later
OK. Just saw a neurosurgeon last Friday with MRI of lower lumbar and said was nothing he could do for him unless having pain run down into legs. Pain has suddenly sifted from lumbar 4, 5, 6 to this new area. He says it feels like his hip is disconnected or something. Husband said is right side not left, but don't think that makes any difference. Will try to get him to go to the ER but think he'll have to suffer a bit longer before he's willing to go. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Noted the opinion of a Neurosurgeon.
As said above, this may be due to muscle spasm causing the secondary problems but it is necessary to get a proper diagnosis and to see for or rule out any problem with the right hip by clinical examination and investigations.
Surely, there are medicines for pain and spasm that can be prescribed judiciously.
Till then he can full bed rest, warm fomentations in a warm room.
Please give feedback.