• question-icon

What causes right-sided abdominal and back pain?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: pain in my right side and back; duration approx. 48hrs; no fever, no nausea, skin is supersensitive to touch, no swelling, no hot spots, pain ranges from feeling muscular in nature to sometimes feels like the pain one gets when you've run too far, too fast. wondering if it's kidney?, no abdominal tenderness like I think I would have with appendicitis, severity comes and goes but some degree of pain is constant, not severe enough to prevent most daily activities.

suggestions?? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
herpes?

Detailed Answer:

if I understand OK, the pain is distributed on both the front and back like a half belt. Pain like this with sensory disorders (hypersensitive skin, perhaps numbness, tingling, burning pain, etc) are consistent with herpes (either herpes simplex virus or varicella zoster virus - shingles).

Kidney pain is usually more severe and does not cause skin sensitivity. It's typically flank pain but depending on the location of obstruction the pain may migrate to the front.

Right sided pain can also be caused by gallbladder conditions, intestinal problems (including irritable bowel syndrome), muscular problems (strains), etc. Your description does not fit most of the potential diagnoses.

Clinical examination is very important in determining the right diagnosis. Tests might be necessary depending on the findings of clinical examination.

Please note that the occurrence of the skin lesions of herpes may be delayed for a few days, so that a patient may have discomfort without lesions.
If you can recall a muscular injury then the muscular etiology would be more likely.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis