What causes right lower abdominal pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
Could you please tell me whether surgery is necessary or not l Im in alot of pain and explaim in simple terms what this means
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You do not require surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query and report in detail.
The CT scan abdomen and pelvis might have been done for a right lower abdominal pain. Please update me on your symptoms should it differ from what I have suspected.

Mention is also made about a previous CT scan dated 11/20/2013.
The CT scan shows following important findings.

1. Very small patchy area in the lower lobes of lungs - this may not be significant.

2. Small hiatal hernia - A hiatal hernia is the protrusion (or herniation) of the upper part of the stomach into the thorax through a tear or weakness in the diaphragm. Since it is categorically mentioned as small, there is no need of any surgery. However you may discuss this findings with your surgeon. This problem can cause dull pain or burning in the upper abdomen and upper abdominal discomfort.

3. There is a 5.0 x 4.6 cms cyst in the pelvis on the left side and this needs to be followed up on ultrasound scan after 2 months. Such cysts can be due to hormonal changes and may disappear in few weeks time.

4. Since you have undergone gall bladder surgery in the past, the clips can be seen in the gall bladder fossa and this is not a significant finding.

Hope your query is answered.
Please write back i f you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: What causes right lower abdominal pain? 33 minutes later
I have been having lower quadrant pain in my left and right that radiates to the back
I also have like a burning sensation like in my chest that feels like a heartburn. But if you dont think a surgeon would do anything then I might as well not go?

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgeon visit can guide you with medications

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

The left lower abdomen pain can be due to the cyst. You may wait few weeks and repeat ultrasound as mentioned earlier. Is case the pain gets severe, it is advisable to consult your gynaecologist.

The burning in lower chest might be due to hiatal hernia. A visit to the surgeon will guide you on the medications which will reduce your symptoms. There is no indication for surgery. However if you feel n that your GP is in a position to help you out with medications then you may choose to consult a surgeon should your c h est burning increase in intensity.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek