question-icon

What causes right kidney pain and frequent urination with history of kidney infections?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: Hello
I am currently in pain with my back. The main area of pain seems to be where my right kidney is. I have suffered from kidney infections previously and although I am urinating a lot, there is no burning sensation. I have also been sweating a lot and feeling very hot and then very cold. My back hurts when I am standing, it hurts when I am sitting, it hurts when I stretch.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Please go in to be evaluated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am sorry you are feeling so poorly. The hallmarks of a kidney infection are flank pain (in the area of the kidneys), fever, and nausea. Given that you have had kidney infections before, I would have a high suspicion for a kidney infections now, and it should be evaluated, even if you don't have bladder symptoms. So please do go in to doctor or clinic now. They will examine you, get a urine specimen, and possible an xray or ultrasound is needed to make sure there is not a stone.

I hope this helps you and that you are feeling better soon.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh