What causes retinopathy and nephropathy in a diabetic?

Dr. Maheshwari

Posted on Mon, 10 Aug 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: My brother 72 yrs, diabetic, both retinopathy and nephropathy has set in. recently was having few sizer kind attack. Dr has given levirpill 500 mg along with his regular medicine. he is most of the time sleeping, talking incoherent. brain MRI had been done months back with no special results. Dr has asked to make the Levipill to 1/2[250mg]. Hs blood test shows very high serum B12 [ 2662 pg/ml]; Creatinine- 1.5; ESR 49 mm/hr. Liver function test and random sugar is under control. what is the diagnosis and treatment?
Answered by Dr. Maheshwari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
These could be signs of stroke.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to the HCM.
Dear as you have mentioned that he had a stroke (hemorrhagic) 2 years back.I would like to know that for how long he has been symptoms of incoherent speech?
What was the last time you got checked his blood pressure?
Any dizziness episode he has got recently?
As stroke occurs when the supply of blood to the brain is suddenly interrupted.Since diabetes,increased age ,high blood pressure,atherosclerosis(stiff arteries) with increased age ,all are the factors which can cause sudden interruption in brain vessels ,so the stroke.
The effects of a stroke depend on the location of the obstruction,and which part of the brain is deprived of blood and the amount of tissue damage.
Warning signs of strokes are ..
any sudden weakness or numbness of the face or the limbs,especialy on one side of the body.
Being unable to talk,speaking in an unclear or garbled manner ,confusion (incoherent speech).etc
Since MRI was done few months back,but I would like to know that ,since when he is getting problem of speech and sleeping?And what are the B.P measurements in recent days?

Hope my answer will be helpfull for you.Please let me know ,if I need to clarify more.
Dr.Maheshwari.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj