What causes restlessness, fever and watery eyes in an infant?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

The child is an infant (Male) and he is 2 months and 10 days old. Have fever and feeling restless.

Symptoms ->

1.1 Sunday - Was restless didn't sleep properly in the entire day (10 am to 8 pm).
1.2 Monday - Fever 99.9
1.3 Tuesday - Fever 98.9, 100.5 & 100 (Monitored thrice three hours)
2. Motion is a bit smelly and thick than usually. Light yellow in color.
3. Watery eyes
4. Not asking for feed but is ok when we provide.
5. Sleeping fine at night.

Fever is coming down after giving medicine.
Allergy: None observed

Medicine given: Three doses total (Monday Evening, Tuesday Morning and Tuesday Evening) Paracetamol oral solution for Infants.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral illness - but less than 3 month old infant needs dr

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day.

If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all.

Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

But as the infant is less than 3 months old, I suggest you get him examined by a pediatrician as subtle signs of illness or meningitis cannot be picked up by you. I am recommending this as it is difficult to assess kids of this age judging only by fever.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,