What causes repetitive need of Vancomycin therapy after bi-lateral total shoulder replacement?
aspiration for culture.search for any metallic reaction,consult surgeon
To assess for infection status an aspiration and analysis of fluid with culture for bacteria/microbes comes to my thinking.
if culture comes out sterile then no need for antibiotics.
Also I would want to have an MRI of shoulder and get some tests for metal reactions done to rule out any metal ionic reaction causing collection .Metal implants often give local reactions sometimes due to metalic content which is foreign to body tissues.
I would suggest to seek and consult for above with your surgeon who operated.
MRI for bursitis around shoulder joint
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What does a shoulder replacement consist of
- Infection after shoulder replacement surgery
- Swelling after shoulder replacement surgery
- What causes repetitive speech
- Reverse total shoulder replacement problems
- Shoulder pain wearing sling need shoulder replacement orthopedic surgeon
- Reverse total shoulder replacement outcomes
- Rehabilitation after shoulder replacement surgery
- Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus infection causes
- Total shoulder replacement precautions