What causes repeated attacks of acute sinusitis?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 24 Dec 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: adlheast twice to three times a year I get sinitus head pain, cough, yellow discharge runny throat I always have to go on antibiotics it last 2 weeks up to 3weeks im miserable I have to take all types of medicine to get the symtoms to wear I can bare them is there any procedure its been this way since ive been a kid always end up. in the doctors office or uegent please is there any options besides medicine I also suffer from indoor and out door allergies
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....you need to be investigated and assessed by an ENT surgeon.
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your problem very well.
There can be various reasons for the repeated attacks of acute sinusitis which can include allergies,some blockages,nasal polyps,viral infections etc and moreover not all the episodes of sinusitis are due to bacterial infection.In fact viral infection is the reason behind most of the sinusitis attacks.
I would advise you to consult an ENT specialist for detailed examination and investigation like..
Nasal endoscopy to visualise the interior of your sinuses.
Allergic tests to determine the allergy
CT or MRI of sinuses for detailed description of condition of your sinuses.
Once the cause is found,a specific treatment plan can be instituted.

One should always try to go for simple remedies when you get sinusitis attack.
Antibiotics should be reserved for  bacterial infections only.
Simple remedial measures are....
Do steam inhalation
Warm saline gargles
Avoiding cold drinks
Humidifying your room
Using nasal saline drops
Taking simple pain killers like ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day.
Taking anti allergic like Benadryl or Allegra 
Consulting a doctor if your symptoms don't improve in 10 days or deteriorate.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks