What causes reoccurring lump on both the eyes after removing chalazion cysts?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My son was diagnosed with chalazion and had surgery on both eyes. However, the bump has returned on both eyes and we would like to know how we should treat this condition without further surgery. We are wondering what caused this to happen and once treated, how does he prevent this from happening again? He is 31 yrs. old. He is doing hot compresses several times a day. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chalazion can be treated by injections of triamcinolone.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

Chalazion is a chronic inflammatory condition affecting the glands of the eyelids.
Surgical incision and curettage is the treatment of choice. However the condition is known to recur.
Hence no need to be worried.

This can be treated without surgery also. Injection of long acting steroids like Triamcinolone can be injected into the lesion and this will resolve the lesion.

Since it is recurrent and long standing we need to rule out the causes for its recurrence like presence of refractive errors, frequent rubbing of the eyes, constant exposure to dust, smoke, wind..., infection of the eyelids in the form of blepharitis, decreased immunity....
Hence along with injections for treatment of the chalazion, I advice you to consult your eye doctor for evaluation to find out the above mentioned underlying causes and treatment to prevent further recurrence.
Do consult your doctor and discuss with him regarding these factors and do get back to me.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.
Do write back to me for further questions.

Thank you