What causes regurgitation symptoms while on formula and breast milk feed?

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

My son is 11 weeks old now and he is doing combination feeding (Breast + Formula).
He spits little milk regularly after feeding. He also use to cough sometimes (5-6 times a day), but doesn't have running nose or doesn't bring any discharge out. We are trying him Aptamil comfort milk for Colic. We are little worried about his coughing. Why he might be coughing? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
regurgitation.

Detailed Answer:
It looks like your baby have some regurgitation or gastro - esophageal reflux.
Due to recurrent vomit or spiting there is cough in an attempt to clear secretion from pharynx.
Burping in upright position for 20 to 25 mins after every feed is necessary to reduce the reflux or spiting.
If there is no fever and weight gain is good then you do not need to worry.
Hope I helped you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply Dr XXXXXXX

Does the cough get better when the reflux/regurgitation go away when the kid grows up?

Does it need any medication to make it better?

How long does babies take normally to get rid of reflux/regurgitation?

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it will be cured

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes the cough will go away after reflux stops.
You can try domperidone drops after consulting a doctor if problem persists or increased in severity.
Generally the problem goes away on its own after weaning started i.e. after 6 months.
Hope I helped you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj