What causes regurgitation of small quantity of food?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 8 week old.....she was premature born at 31 weeks. She is straining and griping lots during the day n seems very irritable.some days she brings up bit milk after feeding and cries alot most days in the evenings ,however she does burp well after her feeds. What can this mean ?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Additional information required

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms XXXXXXX

Babies usually regurgitate small quantity of feeds occasionally. There seems to be no cause for concern. Does she bring up milk after every feeds ?

I would require additional information for me to be able to assist you further

1. Does she bring up milk after every feeds ?
2 Does she strain while passing urine or stools?
3. Does she sleep well after feeds?
4. Is she on exclusive breast feeding or also on top feeds ? If on breast feeding, is the feed adequate?
5. Is there any diaper rash ?

Awaiting your response

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon

Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 7 minutes later
She is formula fed. Yes feeds well n brings up milk sometimes not each time.

No nappy rash.

She just strains alot n sometines before passing stools
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is normal in formula feed babies

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear Ms XXXXX

She could be bringing up milk due to
1. Regurgitation
2. Feed allergy

Occasionally bringing up milk is acceptable. If possible let the baby be on exclusive breast feeding

If the passage of stools is regular and not hard there is no cause of concern. Babies who are on formula feeds usually strain while passing stools. I hope she is putting on weight adequately

Wishing you a happy motherhood

Best regards
Dr Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Yes putting on weight well. Can it b colic?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be staining while passing stools

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms XXXXXX

It can be either colic or staining while passing stools seen in formula feed babies.

If there are no other symptoms then there is no cause for concern.

Best regards
Deepak
Alot if crying every eve too for many hours ?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be colic

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms XXXXXX

From this description it's likely to be colic. Giving Colimex drops will be helpful.

Best regards
Dr Deepak