• question-icon

What causes reduced lactation?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

My infant is 7 weeks old and I have breasted him since start. My lactation had issues since start hence I had to start Lactare powder for once in a day which was giving sufficient lactation. Nowadays I am getting very low lactation even with lactare when taken thrice in a day. I am taking 3litre water in a day. Kindly suggest on how to improve lactation.
I was advised to feed every 2 hours and I do so. Sometimes my child doesn't even cry but I feed him because 2 hours are passed and hence breast are never full empty after feed.
What should I rely on, shall I wait for child to cry and signal for being hungry or to feed every 2 hours?
Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Breast milk production depends on the hunger of the baby.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It is good to know that you are exclusively breast feeding your baby. Please continue it. Let me tell you that breast milk is produced based on the demand of the baby. If the baby is hungry the baby will suck more and breast milk production would increase. All you need to do is to monitor the urinary output. If the baby passes urine for more than 6-8 times in 24 hours rest assured that the baby is getting adequate feeds. As such you can wait for the child to express the hunger. You can otherwise offer the feeds in 3 hours if the child still has not cried out.

It is good to know that you are taking plenty of fluids to drink. Taking lactare XXXXXXX is ok. If that does not seem to help you can take Reglan (Metoclopramide) tablet thrice daily. It is usually given as an antiemetic but is known to increase breast milk production.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 16 minutes later
Does Reglan (Metoclopramide) tablet have any known side effect?
How long can I rely on above mentioned tablet
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take it for a week.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Reglan (Metoclopramide) is an antiemetic that has the side effect of increasing breast milk production. This side effect is being made use of in this case. I do not think that you need to bother about side effects. Take it for a week and see how much that helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician