What causes reduced fetal movements during 32nd week of pregnancy?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is 32 weeks pregnant. For the last two days, she has felt a reduction in the frequency as well as intensity of the baby's movements. Earlier, the movement was quite marked and, mostly, happened around the same time every day. For a couple of days now, it is not so. We want to know if it is a cause of worry.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Sometimes, as the pregnancy advances, particularly after 32 weeks, the baby weight starts significantly increasing, and the baby occupies much more space inside the uterus, leaving less space for movements.
The amount of fluid around the baby also comparatively lessens, making movements less pronounced.
If the placenta is anterior, that masks fetal movements too.
Make sure the mother is stress free, and takes enough liquid intake and food and nutrition.
Please get an ultrasound scan done with fetal Doppler that shows fetal well being and blood supply to the baby.
If that is normal do not worry.
Lie down on your left side for one hour each after breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Total movements ofthe these three hours should be at least ten.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad