What causes reduced drug absorption after gallbladder removal?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can drug absorption be decreased due to gall bladder removal? I take griseofulvin for a persistent tinea capitis. I was advised to take griseofulvin with a fatty meal to enhance absorption of the drug.
My gall bladder was removed 5 months ago. Is it possible that due to this situation, the drug is less well absorbed (as is the case with eg. some fat soluble vitamines)? Thanks a lot for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO; it will not affcet this!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

It is advised to take griseofulvin with fatty meal so that it gets dissolved and allow for absorption. This is because griseofulvin dissolves better in fats than water. Because it doesn't need any digestion, where bile salts for the gall bladder come in place, it is not affected by this. A study showed that taking griseofulvin with milk instead of water increased the absorption by up to 10 folds.

I wish you well and hope this addresses your worry fully.