What causes redness with swelling on the heel?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 11 Jan 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had heel swelling and redness which was warm to the touch on tuesday on both heels and was difficult to walk but has gone away. Severe itching in my right foot only which was on the inner part of my foot to the right two toes. Today I have slight redness and moderate swelling to my middle toe only with numbing and pain
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inflammation or hyperuricemia

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

How are you doing?
Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your question in detail and feel that the redness and swelling that you mentioned may be due to an inflammatory response (bursitis).

Inflammation causes the area to be warm and red causing pain while walking.
I hope you haven't sustained any sort of trauma recently.

The commonest cause for such type of non-traumatic inflammation is a raised serum uric acid level (Hyperuricemia) or raised WBC counts in blood.

If this type of swelling and redness was for the first time that you have experienced,then i think you need not worry.

Take anti-inflammatory tablets,keep the legs elevated over a pillow.
Application of compression bandage,analgesic gels locally with fomentation in lukewarm water will help.

This should give you much of relief.

If this does not help or if the symptoms reappear again,then you should get your blood checked for complete blood count and uric acid levels.

I would be in a better position to guide you further if you could post a photograph of the affected area.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any doubts that you may have.

Thank you.

Best wishes and good day .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy