• question-icon

What causes redness, tenderness and swelling in external part of the ear?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, the external part of my ear, the ear lobe and all of the surrounding outer ear has been red, swollen, hot and tender to the touch for 3 days now....the inner part isn't bothering me at all...I can't get in to see my doctor for a couple of days, but was just wondering if it might be serious enough to get help now?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

I'm concerned that you might have a cellulitis. This is an infection under the skin which can cause swelling, redness and tenderness.

I think this is something that would benefit from being looked at sooner rather than later. If you have a local urgent care or emergency room then it would be prudent for you to seek evaluation there as soon as possible.

The advantage of evaluation sooner is that if you need antibiotics, starting the earlier generally will lead to a more reliable and speedy recovery he. Also decreases the risk that is good progress further and cause more pain and discomfort.

thank you again for sending your question. Please have this evaluated as soon as you're able.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist