What causes redness on the lips?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My wife woke up with these redness on her lips. Do you know what it could be? I have attached a picture for your review.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes labialis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query and photograph.
It is looking like herpes labialis a viral infection.
I treat such cases with antiviral ointment such as acyclovir to be applied twice daily for a week.
It is safe and effective and gives good response within a week.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
What are some causes of her getting this? She went to her doctor and they gave her some steroids
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
Herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Its a viral infection.
Any type of stress like lot of physical work or stress at work or fever can lead to develooment of herpes labialis.
Ask her to try acyclovir ointment.
Give her mtuvitamin supplements for a month.
This should help her.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D