What causes redness on the ankles of a diabetic person?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: WHAT CAUSES REDNESS OF THE ANKLES IN A DIABETIC PERSON.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Veins insufficiency can be the reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Usually such symptom appears due to veins insufficiency or soft tissues inflammation. Can you please attach a photo of it so I can give more precise answer? Do you have any swelling, itching, fever?

I`m looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
THANK YOU, NO SWELLING OR ITCHING. I DO HAVE TYPE 2 DIABETUS. NO PICTURE. I APPEARS RED AROUND BOTH LEGS JUST ABOVE THE ANKLE BONE ALMOST TO THE KNEES ON BOTH LEGS, NO PAIN, SOMETIMES IT FELLS SLIGHTLY HOT. I HAVE BEEN PUTTING TOPRISIN ON IT.
MORE LIKE SOFT TISSUE INFLAMMATION. IS THIS LINKED TO DIABETIS

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO CLEAR UP THIS ISSUE. THANKS
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Doppler veins ultrasound should be done.

Detailed Answer:
As I can not see it, it really hard yo determine the exact reason. Veins insufficiency seems most probable. That is why Doppler veins ultrasound should be done.