What causes redness on penis head?

General Surgeon
Question
I have some redness in my penis head, i havent had sexual activity for months. It is lightly red no bumbps no pus no pain or itchiness. It started yesterday its was more red before. Should i worry?
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

That redness could be due to an infection. But it need a clinical examination to come to a diagnosis.

So I would suggest that you show it to a dermatologist for proper clinical evaluation and subsequent management.

Or you may wait for a day or two more, as it is already subsiding and might go completely. If it increases or persists, then you may show to a dermatologist.

Hope I have been helpful.

Dr.Deepika Patil

Follow-up: What causes redness on penis head? 7 hours later
It has been dissapearing so far it seems to be getting better. How would you distiguish a friction rub from an infection? Is there any difference?

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
depends upon type of infection

Detailed Answer:

Every infection has its own peculiar type of lesion and are usually painful with some having a raised surface or a bleb or oozing or ulcer. But most important is a history of exposure.

As your is having nothing like that and is rapidly healing, is more likely to be a rub only.

Dr.Deepika Patil

Follow-up: What causes redness on penis head? 2 days later
Its pretty much gone by now, i starting using mousturizing soap and it semeed to help. There is no
More redness there is just a distinguishable zone like new skin comming, not redness pain or anything.

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing more to do now

Detailed Answer:

Now you don't have to do anything to it. It was mostly a frictional rub injury that has healed well.

The new skin will replace a damaged one.

Dr.Deepika Patil