What causes redness on penis foreskin?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Tested negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea on urine test after last exposure 25days.
Had a routine urinalysis and urine culture done came back everything good. I hope this finds any infection or bacteria. I don't know.
Have some redness on foreskin below penis head. Had it for two weeks, treated for yeast infection. Seemed to respond to lotriderm, but masturbated the other day and went red again and was chafing. Have some irritation at the end of penis at urethra opening on the skin that surrounds opening.... Looks like puffy lips, sometimes red sometimes fine. Some slight burning around anus and upto scrotum. Did experience some mild discomfort on pelvic area and behind tedticles like a dull ache. And my penis head gets inflammed Somedays giving a tingling numbing sensation. No discharge ever!!
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likey fungal take antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query.I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.

It is not clear about the exact morphology of the rash if you have any.
It is good that your tests for STDs like chlamydia and gonorrhea has come negative and your urine tests are normal.

These redness can be due to irritation or friction or fungal infection etc.

You have responded well to lotriderm implies it is a combination of antifungal and steroid.it is better you take of the steroid part and apply only plain antifungal like clotrimazole (candid).
treat the partner also with antifungal lotions to prevent ping-ping infections between each other.

Use condoms.
Test for diabetes in both.
Maintain good genital hygiene in both partners.

You can get back to me for any clarifications .
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 27 minutes later
I can send some pics so u can analyze
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Send Details and photos

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
You can get back to me for any clarifications with photos of genital, anal, groins , scrotal rash if any where and details of intercourse and partner history any other symptoms and treatment taken etc.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 35 minutes later
I had unprotected sex with someone other than my wife. It started in April we met once, then a month later I met here and a month later. We met three times unprotected all of them. The last time we met was XXXXXXX 14. I got tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia on July 8. Did I wait long enough to get tested.... Came back negative. Urinalysis and urine culture done July 28.... Negative. Would a urinalysis and routine urine culture have found bacteria related to sex transmitted disease or does it need to be specified?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Photos reupload again not uploaded properly

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
the photos are not visible to be or not uploaded. please upload again
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 11 minutes later
Images uploaded
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No bacterial stds may be fungal or irritation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
It is good that tests have come negative for gonorrhea and Chlamydia .The timing is okay for the results and you need not bother about it. And allay fear about these diseases.
Urine culture shows any bacteria whether STDS or not. They look for entire bacterial organism relevant to the site. It is negative so you can allay fear about this also.
I went though the photos and could make out that there is not much significant rash or white discharge etc to suggest fungal.It may be because you are on antifungal and steroid combination.
the clue to think fungal is:
1.You have responded well to lotriderm implies it is a combination of antifungal and steroid.it is better you stop the steroid part and apply only plain antifungal like clotrimazole (candid).Steroid usage and removal also can cause redness or rash.
2. if other partner or wife has white discharge or fungal infection.
treat the partner also with antifungal lotions to prevent ping-ping infections between each other.Both of You can take oral anti fungal like flucanazole 150 mg weekly once 4 weeks
Use condoms.
Test for diabetes in both.
The other possibility is irritation or friction to your genital due to clothing or other irritants.
So wear loose cotton inner wears.
clean the area with warm water twice daily.
You can get back to me for any clarifications else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 56 minutes later
Would the urinalysis or urine culture show anything from trichomonaisis ?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
Urine microscopy can show the trichomonas if present.A wet mount will be positive for it if present.
If they find in it they go for culture for it also
If negative in microscopy, and if mentioned in the request for culture by your Doctor they do culture for trichomonas also.
So as both reports negative it is unlikely.
You can get back to me for any clarification else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
I don't know if it was requested.... On the sheet urinalysis was checked off. Under culture and sensitivity they checked urine. So I don't really know.

As u can tell I'm anxious, I can't help it. I made a mistake and I don't want to lose my family.

It seems that if I keep my penis and surrounding area cool and dry, irritation is not much. But if warm and sweaty irritation. It seems if I drink beer the nite before my penis head Is inflammed a lot the next day
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX anxiety.alchohol can exacerbate fungal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
You need not be anxious at all as all the STDS tests are negative
trichomonas would be negative in the microscopy and they would have considered it as insignificant.so do not bother.
Alcohol can exacerbate fungal infections so please avoid alcohol or atleast use in moderation.
Clean the genital with warm saline water or with gentle cleansers like cetaphil .
Allay all fears of STDs and lead a normal life with your wife without any worries ans anxiety.you do not have any STDs.
wish you good health
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 24 hours later
I noticed my wife getting ready for the shower, so I waited for her to get in. I checked her clothes she had some discharge in her underwear. It was smelly and the discharge looked whitish but there was some crusty dry ones that had a yellowish look but that was dry
Brief Answer:
Likely fungal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
The white discharge in females if in minor quantities is normal.
If it is in excess to change pads or if associated with foul smell or itching then it is significant needs investigation.
Here as you are telling foul smell, white discharge it may be due to fungal (candida) infection which is likely with you also having the symptoms similar.
Please both of you go for anti fungal treatment as suggested earlier.
Take all precautions to prevent ping pong infections between each other.
If you desire you can get investigated for confirmation of diagnosis by smear examination of the discharge if present. Consult doctor for investigation
wish you good health
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 3 hours later
Sent u a few pics to see my rash better, been going on for a month.
Brief Answer:
Anti Fungal therapy

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for follow up query.

As there is a rash at the base of glans and with wife having symptoms and you responding to lotriderrm. I would still treat as fungal infection but both use plain antifungals like clotrimazole.

Stop lotriderm use plain antifungals and oral antifungal like flucanzole 150 mg weekly once. Both of you take anti fungal treatment.

Wish you good health
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 6 hours later
Does trich go away by itself in men? And how long does it take?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good response to treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.

I do not think of possibility of Trichomoniasis infection.
In males it is asymptomatic and females have symptoms. Here your partner does not have any symptoms of Trichomoniasis.
So you need not bother of this.
Metronidazole or tinidazole treatment can be taken by both if you still suspect it and if asymptomatic infection is suspected.

Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Would discharge be the first symptom for men? My wife said her stomach was turning the other day and she thinks it was that she needed to have a bowel movement. She has trouble passing gas and will go a week or week and a half without a bowel movement. Really! But she always has this. I probably am letting my anxiety get the best of me!! WhAt r sure signs of trich in both genders.... I look on the internet but feel I'm misled sometimes
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wife symptoms not related to trichomoniasis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query
Men often do not have symptoms of trichomoniasis.but may rarely present with discharge burning urination or irritation in penis.Usually females will have symptoms if men have.
Female symptoms are Greenish, frothy vaginal discharge with odor,Painful urination, itching and irritation in Vagina, Lower abdominal pain (rare)
The symptoms your wife is having needs a physician investigation as irregular stool passage with proper fibre and balanced diet needs investigation.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh