What causes redness on nipple post child delivery?
Sore nipple. Need proper care.
Thanks for writing to us.
According to your information, it is mostly suggestive of cracked or sore nipple, associated with bacterial or fungal infection.
Following things could be helpful to solve your problem:
1) Let your baby self-latch and need proper position during breast feeding.
2) Nipple shields are often recommended to protect sore nipples during feedings.
3) Proper cleaning of breast and nipple area with lukewarm water before and after each breast feeding. Use comfortable breast support.
4) Use ice-pack around nipple area and apply prescribed anti-bacterial ointment. Painkiller is also required.
Kindly, consult with your treating doctor for clinical examination and complete prescription.
Hope, it helps for your information. You can close the discussion if you don't have any other query.
Wish your good health and take care yourself.
Dr S Patra
For future query, you can directly approach me through
Sore nipple is quite common problem. Need proper care.
Thanks for follow up query.
Sore nipple is quite common thing during breast feeding. It is NOT dangerous thing but you need proper treatment and adequate breast care.
Yes, your baby can take your breast milk. However, you should maintain proper position and hygiene during breast feeding.
It is mostly due to bacterial infection or improper care. Follow previous suggestive measures to solve your problem.
Hope, I have answered your query. All the best and good luck.
Dr S Patra
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes crusty nipples
- Causes of red inflamed nipples
- What causes red crusty nipples
- What causes dark nipples
- What causes scaling on the nipple
- What causes puffiness around nipples of a child
- What causes grey nipples
- What causes an infected nipple
- What causes dry nipples
- What causes nipple dryness