What causes redness on feet after a bath?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hello,
Please see the pictures I have included int his email. My 17 yr old Daughter has had these symptoms for several years now. I believe they are progressively getting worse. The redness usually only stayed in her feet and usually after a bath or shower, and if her feet gets really cold (like in the winter) Now I see the redness has started to creep up higher up on her legs (see pictures). This mostly happens after heat exposure. I have no idea what this is- possibly you can help or refer us to another specialty. She does have allergies to dyes (red) and dust mites, pollins , but a pretty healthy active young lady. One thing that is increasing thou is she gets pains in her legs especially after exercise (dance class) or standing at work for long periods of time - we call them growing pains but I know that is not the case in this situation. Not sure if this pain is related to what ever is happening with the redness.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of Raynauds phenomena should be rules out

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I can understand your concern.
I am not able to see any attached image.
In case of adolescent female if skin lesion which gets precipitated by cold and localised to extremities can be due to Raynauds.
In Raynauds initially there is pallor and then purple/blue or red.But this does not happens in all cases.
Other autoimmune disorders should also be ruled out if there is weakness in the leg muscles.
It may be simple allergic rash but I would like to get her investigated as the symptoms are worsening.
First of all I would request you to attach an image so that I better able to help you out.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 7 hours later
I have just sent the pictures for you to look at. These were taken last Sat night after a shower.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its more like urticaria

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

I have seen the image and it is more like urticarial rash(elevated red skin lesions).
Change in temperature(cold or heat),pressure(wearing tight shoes or shocks) can precipitate the urticarial rash.
In the presence of history of allergy to dust,pollens and these urticarial rashes giving antiallergic like montelukast and cetrizine would help.
Raynauds is precipitated by cold not heat so chances of Raynauds phenomena is remote.
The pain does not appear to be related to these rashes and I won't get worried for that as there is no associated weakness or swelling in joints.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad