What causes redness on back of throat?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Redness in back of mouth and throat - have snapshot.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sore Throat, Likely pharyngitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. The picture is very typical of pharyngitis and needs sorting out of the etiology. A simple throat swab will help the diagnosis.

A simple cold, flu, allergies, acid reflux, strept infection, infectious mono are some of the commonest causes of this presentation.

Dry indoor air and out door air pollution work as irritants and dryness causes such symptoms too.

Get a throat swab done and meanwhile try following home remedies.

Rest.
Salt water gargles. 1 tablespoon in 8 ounces of warm water and gargles.
Garlic water mouth gargles can also be used.
Drink plenty of fluids.
Humidify the air by using humidifier or staying in bathroom with shower on. breathing that steam humidifies air ways.
Herbal tea mixed with honey will help the irritation.
Treat the fever if any with acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

There are many herbal remedies which help the sore throat. Some commonly used ones are
Slippery elm
Sage
Licorice root
Marshmallow root
Honeysuckle flower and other Chinese medicine herbs

Consult your internist and let them help you in this regard.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

regards
Khan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan