What causes redness of toe?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
My third toe is very red. has been this way for about 5 days. I have no feeling in that toe ever since a bunion surgery 2 yr ago, so I can't tell if it is itchy or painful. I am. recuperating from an allergicc reaction to some kind of weed or swimmersitch which I have had for 2 weeks. The dermatologist gave me a cortisone shot and desoximetasone to put on it. I didn't think to ask about the toe. while the rash is improving, the toe is not. any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
if you are diabetic or there is legs arterial insufficiency then this is probbably inflammation and antibiotics are neccesary,probably amoxicillin for 7-10 days. loss of sensation may mimic this inflammation so it would be smart to do inflammatory markers and visit doctor. single toe redness shouldnt be part of allergic reaction so it wont improve on steroids.actually steroids may aggravate this as well. So, all in all this is not some emergency but try to rest in next 24 hours,apply cold compresses on toe,take nonsteroid painkillers and see what happens. if there is no improvement then you should visit doctor and have this antibiotic I ve mentioned, Wish you good health. Regards