What causes redness of the eyes, chills, fever and vomiting in a child?

Pediatrician
Question
4 year old. red eyes with lots of discharge, chills, small fever, and vomited
Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Swabbing the eyes should help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your son is possibly suffering from an eye infection. I would insist you to swab the eyes stoking from inner angle of the eyes moving outward using a piece of cotton soaked in lukewarm water. That should suffice. However, if you still find sticky discharge from the eyes, you might need to apply antibiotic drops like Ciplox (ciprofloxacin) four times a day for the next few days. I hope that it would soon be fine.

If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give acetaminophen (Tylenol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective but is a prescription medicine. Give plenty of fluids and ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the fluids and salts lost during vomiting.

Let me know if I could help further.