What causes redness in the eyes?
It is not dangerous and generally fades on its own in 1-2 weeks
Thank you for asking at HCM.
If you had a bright red eye in the morning while you were fine the night before it- this is a typical clinical finding for a condition called subconjuctival hemorrage. It is a very benign diagnosis and does not effect the eye. it seems scary but is not dangerous at all.
As you explained it does not cause pain in the eye, it is bright red, no visual changes and most of the times no certain cause of it is identified.
If you have no other bleeding problems like no bruises, no dark black stools, no nose bleeds than there is nothing to worry.
It is expected that your eye will be red for 1-2 weeks and it will fade gradually. There is no treatment needed or special care.
Rarely hypertension (high blood pressure) is accused as its cause - have a blood pressure check just to be on the safe side.
So to close it I would say to not get anxious about it, it will fade in 1-2 weeks and no treatment is needed. If any other symptoms with it you will need to see a doctor.
Hope this is helpful and asnwers to your question.
If no more clarification is needed, I kindly ask you to please close and rate the answer.
Dr Antoneta Zotaj
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes red eye and headaches
- What causes severe redness in eyes
- What causes irritation redness and pain in the eyes
- What causes red eyes symptoms
- What causes sudden redness in the eye
- What causes red eyes after shower
- What is the cause of a red and swollen eye
- What causes a red blothcy eye
- What is the cause of red patch in eye
- What causes bloodshot red eyes
- What causes an episode of chills, dizziness and focusing issues?
- What causes mildly raised INR level despite taking Warfarin?
- What does the following colposcopy report indicate?
- What do the following ultrasound reports indicate?
- What causes a red rash on the arm?
- What causes diarrhea, severe cramps and bloating?
- Suggest treatment for small bumps between the legs and near the buttocks
- What causes redness in the eyes?
- Suggest treatment for severe joint pain in the knees, elbows and ankles
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches and mouth ulcers while having...