What causes redness in the eye after using contact lenses?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello Doctor, I use contact lenses. My eyes become red when I wear them for a long time as my office atmosphere is very dry and because I look at the screen of my laptop continuously. I usually remove them when this happens.
However, today I noticed that there was a ring shaped redness around me entire cornea. It is like a ring surrounding my cornea. Please advice. I do not feel pair or irritation.
I use B+L extended wear lenses.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
time for an Eye check-up..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

Now first of all, I do believe your cleaning the contact lenses daily with the B&L's provided solution only, if not I'd highly recommend you to do it without any further delay..

Yes, dry eye can certainly present like this, so start putting Eye drop Refresh Tears 2 drops in BOTH Eyes three times daily for next 7 days and observe how you stay..

If Possible, please take a snap shot of the affected eye and upload/attach it here at the reports section so that I can take a closer look at it..

You need to start taking short duration breaks specially when working in front of the Computers, to avoid this in future also, just take 5-10 min of short break, walk around a little and then get back to your desk, it'll help..

Start wearing Spectacles for the time being..and after every 3-4 waters, wash your eyes thoroughly in cold water (use mineral/R.O. water and not the running tap-water)..

The ring shaped redness can be due to stress and prolonged wearing of the lenses..is it exclusively on any one eye or both of them ?

Is it exactly around the site where the lens fits in ?

Is there any foreign body sensation in the eye ?

Any excessive watering/ burning ?

Let me all the details so that I can guide you accordingly(there may be an element of infection involved, pain/irritation is not necessarily felt all the time )..

Meanwhile follow all those advises already mentioned, and if you notice any worsening of the present situation, please get yourself checked out by any Ophthalmologist for a detailed clinical evaluation..

Take Care
Kind Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee