What causes redness and tenderness at the site of fistulectomy?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor, I had fistulectomy 11 weeks back. Although the wound was closed in 8 weeks but I feel hardness like a cord at the wound site. Also the area is still sour and red and tender. Can u please tell is this the scar formation process going on and how much time will it take to completely heal and feel normal again.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Scar tissues, takes months together .

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
To recapitulate: male/ 32 - fistulectomy 11 weeks back - feels cord like, red, sour and tsettling - wants to know whether this is scar tissue and the time taken for complete healing and feeling normal...
My thoughts:
Since you were operated 11 weeks ago and healed after 8 weeks, the healing process is still going on.
The cordlike structure is a scar tissue.
Scar tissue undergoes continuous modelling and re- modelling. This goes for around 9 months before settling permanently.
Due to its peculiar position, it is subjected to more wear thus the response is always peculiar in this area.
I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 23 hours later
Hello doctor, thanks for the reply.
Can u also confirm if this hardness,soreness, and a little pain which i feel will go away with the time as the scar matures.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, indeed. . Take additional care.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
Yes, the hardness, soreness and little pain will go away with time.
Multivitamins work by its anti-oxidant properties to have better scar.
Keep the stool soft by regular use of laxatives.
Avoid the foods and beverages that you know cause constipation for you.
Avoid rigorous activities wherein there is shearing movements between buttocks.
You can use doughnut type of cushion to sit upon at home, in car and wherever possible.
I hope this additional information helps you to have a better healing and symptom-less future.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 11 hours later
Hello doctor,
I would also like to clarify that sometimes after the Bowel Movement i feel burning sensation as if something has been cut . Is it normal or i may have fissure for which i should go see a doctor.
This does not happens everytime.
Thanks once again.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be fissure or excoriation

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Burning sensation as if something has been cut can be due to the following reasons:
- Fissure in ano as you have mentioned.
- Excoriation of the anal and peri-anal skin.
Yes, consulting your Surgeon can tell us the exact cause and proper treatment accordingly, to get a possible cure.
- Proper cleaning of the peri-anal area with plenty of water, then making the area dry with cotton/cotton clothe or hair dryer helps a lot.
- When at home, use the loose clothing so that the area is well ventilated.
- Avoid hot and humid atmosphere.
- Anti-oxidants as mentioned above helps in good healing and scar formation.
- Avoid foods and beverages that you must have noticed to enhance the problems. No spicy things.

I hope this answer helps you further; small things to care but great good effects.