• question-icon

What causes redness and swelling in the right calf muscles?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Lump
Question: My 20 year old son.'a right calf is swollen, warm to the touch, and red. He says he has a deep aching feeling. He hasn't injured it and hasn't had any kind of insect, spider, or snake bites. Advice?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
There are two possible issues. First is erizipelas which is celulitis of skin in lower legs. Second is deep vein thrombosis or calf.At this point, he should put ice,take ibuprofen 2X400mg, and rest. He can also put elastic compress. If there is no improvement,he should do Doppler ultrasound and consider antibiotic therapy. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon