• question-icon

What causes redness and swelling in the eyelid?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Cancer
Question: Good morning. Thank you for your time.
I am normally healthy.
I recently got revitalash on my eyelid, went to Dr. because of a lot of irritation resulting in redness, swelling and a stye. It has been a week. I also got a cold about two weeks ago. At this point, I have clear mucous, but a fair amount...chest/nasal passages. I am not congested. Today my jaw is tender. My neck muscles are tense, I have a small headache. I also just found a hard small lump in front of my right ear. So.... what do you think? It all seems pretty minor at this point...The stye is a lot better. Much smaller. Had just a little drainage. I am really not concerned about that anymore... that is the one thing I did ask the doc. about since for a day it was really swollen and had begun to swell under my eye and my cheek had started to turn a little red. That has all subsided.Mucous is actually cloudy/very light yellow, not clear.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The swelling may be from the stye

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The swelling in front of the ear can be a reaction from the stye, basically a lymph gland which is enlarged to fight the infection. It should subside in few days as the stye is subsiding.

The clear or bit cloudy mucus is most likely a viral infection or allergic. Some anti allergic medicines can help. It can resolve spontaneously also.

Overall, nothing much to worry.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist