What causes redness and soreness in outer vaginal area while using Vagifem cream?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I have been on vqtifemr two months. The Nurse Practioner suggested that I reduce the dosage from 3 x week to 2 x week. However, I am finding that the outter vaginal area gets all red and sore when I use it just 2 x week. Should bin to 3 x week. Also using zincofax baby cream is this a good thing to be using or is there something better out there.?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can continue using it 3 times a week

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Vagifem cream is given to increase the blood supply to the vagina and to prevent dry vagina by making it supple and soft.
You should continue using it 3 times a week, if symptoms of vaginal dryness like redness and soreness appear on using it less frequently.
Zincofax cream or any other lubricant ointment can be used, however it is not as effective as premarin or vagifem in preventing and controlling vaginal dryness.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 11 hours later
I am finding that the vagifem keeps the inner vaginal area quite moist but not the outer labia area so much and this is where most of the mucosa irritation is now. There is a small perineum area that is always irritated. I bend forward to do my toileting so that the urine doesn't bother it so much. I 've had culture & urinalysis tests done for Candiasis yeast infections ; the results come back negative, but I feel like there is something going on. This "infection" that I think I have is in the rectum too. Is it possible that tests do not always show an infection? What is your take on using boric acid to get rid of a yeast infection? Would it cause my atrophied vagina to become more dry/burn? I can't seem to use Replens or any vaginal moisturizers so far as they all irritate me. Have ordered a very natural product called "Yes" that I am hoping will work for me.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antifungal cream and tablet advised

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
It is very much possible that the infection is not detected in the test, if the swab is not taken properly or if there is lab error.
For vaginal candidiasis, it is better to use antifungal cream like clotrimazole rather than the boric acid, as it can cause burning and irritation.
If vagifem is not relieving you, then the candidal infection is likely.
Oral antifungal treatment should also be taken if the fungal infection is causing dryness, itching and soreness.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 43 minutes later
It looks like I am going to have to go on long term treatment with Antifungal medication as I've been using Canasteen Cream for a couple of months already. These were prescribed by a Nurse Practioner and a doctor. The most recent test results showed Negative. I have tried not using the Canasteen Cream and the dryness/redness is still problematic in the outer vaginal area and a sore feeling at the beginning of the inner vaginal opening. I'd love to be able to irriadicate this yeast/fungal infection for good. Its having such a negative impact on my life. Antibiotics cause yeast infection too so they're no good either. It's been a little over a year that I've been suffering like this and its been so hard on my physically and mentally. I want so much to be well. I am in an 8 month old relationship UTI infection and can't have sex because every time I do I get a UTI infection. I am starting to feel like the relationship will not last and that makes me so sad. I follow a candida diet - no sugar, no dairy, eat only the berry fruits, no bread or very little of it. I don't know what to do anymore in terms of fighting for my health.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blood sugar levels should be tested

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Do not be depressed and disheartened.
Recurrent urinary tract infection and recurrent candidal infection is present in diabetic patients and in patients with deranged blood sugar levels.
I will suggest you to get your fasting and post meals blood sugar levels tested to confirm the diagnosis and get appropriate treatment timely.
Once the blood sugar levels are controlled, the infections are treated easily.
Sometimes, higher antifungal medications need to be used to treat the recurrent infections.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad