What causes redness and soreness at the sides of mouth?
may be angular stomatitis
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
It is possible that it may be angular chelitis/stomatitis.
This refers to redness and soreness at the sides of the mouth like you are describing.
There are different possible causes but fungal infection particular yeast (type of fungus) is one of the more common causes.
Other causes are: (1) bacterial infection
(2)allergies- contact with an allergen causing irritation in the area
(3)vitamin b deficiency
You can consider blood tests to check for the iron and vitamin b deficiency. A complete blood count would show anemia if there is iron deficiency or if some of the b vitamins are also deficient.
The specific levels can also be checked.
In addition to keeping the area dry, you should consider the use of a topical antifungal agent for at least 1 to 2 weeks.
This can be combined with a mild topical steroid cream for 3 to 7 days to help reduce the inflammation.
Eg of topical anti fungals are: nizoral (ketoconazole is actual drug), zeasorb (miconazole), loprox (ciclopirox), spectazole (econazole).
One of these should be found over the counter.
Eg of a topical steroid - hydrocortisone, because this is mild, it would be over the counter
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can red wine cause a sore mouth
- Cause of red splotches in mouth
- Red dots on mouth what is causing this
- What causes red patches on roof of mouth yellowish roof of mouth cold sore throat
- What causes red streaks on roof of mouth
- What causes mouth cold sores
- What causes sores on the mouth of the womb
- What causes sore spots in mouth
- What causes red streaks in mouth
- What causes red spots on the top of your mouth
- On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...
- Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...
- I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine
- Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...
- After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...
- Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....
- Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...
- what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...
- Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...
- Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...