• question-icon

What causes redness and soreness around the nipple in an elderly man?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: I have redness around my nipple and feels sore for the first time, no lumps just sore, I am a 56 year old male in good health. I just notice when I leaned against a partition.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please post clear photographs.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Male/56 - just noticed after feeling soreness and redness around nipple - no lumps - noticed when leaned against partition ...
With the short history that you have provided, this may be an allergic dermatitis, may be itching inadvertently and unknowingly causing this or an eczema showing up.
You may please post clear photographs as this helps me for on-the-spot diagnosis.
I hope you do not have any other medical problems such as diabetes, as you have mentioned that you are in good health.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
No other health issues, the soreness subsided and the itching was caused by my shirt hitting the nipple. No surface rash other than a slight redness.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good to know.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your positive feedback.
Good to know this.
Please take care as occurrence of this being caused by a shirt hitting the nipple still has to be worried about till this is completely subsided.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon