What causes redness and itching sensation on the scrotum?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Men's Health
Question: My husbands scrotum is red, black and raw and itchy. It has been this way after 10 days when he was put on an anti- biotic for falling off a motorcycle. Doctor said he has cellulitis and now has the onset of shingles. He had shingles about 2months ago. Can you please explain what is going on with his body. He just woke up with chills and said he is very cold. The room is at 75 degrees. His body is very warm with no fever. Blood pressure is 129/62 heart rate was 58. He is 53 years old
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs urgent urologist review and ultrasound scrotum

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is sad to know what your husband had to go through. Based on the history you have shared, it can be extension of cellulitis. Though shingles is a possibility but the superimposed bacterial or viral infection extending to testes causing orchitis needs to be ruled out.

He needs immediate urology consultation and ultrasound of testes and scrotum with and without color doppler, and some blood work up to see for signs of infection like raised WBC and other inflammatory markers.

He may need injectable antibiotics is any such infection is noticed. Meanwhile use of analgesics and testicular supports may be needed. Wishing him a quick recovery.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj