What causes redness and itching sensation on elbow?

Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have a itching sensation at the elbow...the place where we bend our hand....that place has become red and round. i was previously using diprovat mf but that is not available in market now..can you advice on any other ointment
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation needed for diagnosis and treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions. Though I need a photo of your lesions so that I am better able to help you. Please upload of a photo. You can also send it to me at YYYY@YYYY and address it to my name: Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla.

Those symptoms you have mentioned at the extensor surfaces (elbow) looks like you have an issue much more than just simple issues like an allergy. Diprovate ointment has a steroid ingredient and is only to be used under prescription.

You need to get yourself a good consult medically - in case the diagnosis is yet to be ascertained. This may mean some tests too.

Possibilities apart from allergy, that I can give you are : localized fungal infections, extreme dry skin, excessive scaling of the skin. But, other less common issues will be missed if you continue taking Diprovate without medical opinion.

Meanwhile, I suggest you to switch for something over the counter like aloe containing preparations for a start to see if it buys you some time in relief of symptoms.

Infective causes also add to the possibilities in which case a set duration of course of the relevant antibiotic ointment will have to prescribed for you.

Apologize for not being able to prescribing you an alternative ointment here due to the terms of this website.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj