What causes redness and itching on the leg?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My lower left leg started with some itching (thats why some bruches) now the entire lower left leg is red. I have no pain, high temperature or orther problems. What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Self help/ expert advise would help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for using Health care magic.I have read your query& understood your concern.
I have seen the photographs attached to the query.. & it indicates skin reaction due to excessive itching.
* In case you had this for first time & is there since few days I would advise use of steroid skin ointment with antibiotic ( like Betnovate with Neomycin ) over the counter with a dot of moisturizer to soothe / wear light cotton clothes. Avoid known allergens. Applying cold pack may help to prevent a spurt of itching.
But in case you don't heal in a couple of days OR There is sign of infection or fever,you should consult a physician for assessing the cause & offer specific treatment.
* Such type of itching could be due to-
- Dry skin which cold result by excessive use of air conditioning/ excessive room heating/ over bathing
- Allergy to as simple as an insect bite/ exposure to allergen like china grass/ changed cosmetics( soap/ talcum powder can cause it.
- Fungal skin conditions caused by lack of bathing, washing clothes.. causing
Damp & warm skin , favorable for growth of fungus
- Eczema / allergic skin conditions.
- Nerve injury ( in form of pinched nerve if you had history of fall/ diabetes)can cause such problem.
-And Some times illnesses involving liver or kidney or thyroid.
* A detailed physical examination& needful investigations would be helpful in pin pointing the cause... followed by cause specific treatment( local as well oral/ injections as per need.An a healthy life style would definitely help you out.. don't worry.
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.
Please close the query when you are satisfied & helped by the answer.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy