• question-icon

What causes redness along with severe pain in the groin area?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have redness with severe pain between the thighs and in the penis and testicles used a lot of ointments but to no avail
I got sick since 4 months
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
You have been using topical antifungal creams. Fungal infection is usualy itchy however scratching too much may cause pain. So I would like to know that do you also have itching in that area?
Does this problem recur again after you have stopped using the topical antifungal creams or do the creams give only partially relief?or no relief at all?
I also request you to kindly upload a few more good quality images with better illumination.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
the image name : Multiaction.jpg is the old image Before i use canesten & locapride
and the others images is currently

Yes I have itching and pain especially when walking
no The problem did not heal but when i use Canesten and locapred (désonide) The itching and pain stopped a little but the problem did not heal

and i go to pharmacie and he give me pevagine and kétoderm but he did nothing

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you. I have viewed the Images.

You definitely have fungal infection of groin folds i.e Intertrigo.

Since the topical antifungals alone may not be completely effective therefore I suggest you to take an Oral antifungal e.g either Capsule Itraconazole 100 mg, twice daily for 2 weeks.
Topically you may use either Luliconazole 1% cream or Sertaconazole 2% cream, twice daily for 2 weeks.
These Oral and topical antifungals are prescription medications and I suggest that you visit your general practitioner regarding the same.
For itching you may take an Oral antihistamine e.g Tablet Cetrizine 10mg once daily. Cetrizine tablet is available over the counter
In addition to medications general measures that are important include Wearing loose fitting trousers and using cotton undergarments. Bathing twice daily and air drying the area before applying medications.
Wash your clothes daily and expose to sun for at least 2 hours. Iron your clothes well, even undergarments. These measures would prevent spread reinfection and spread of fungus.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
thanks but about Oral antifungal i use already canaflucan ( fluconazole )

Are you sure is not a serious disease? For fungi, it is cured by salt water such as the sea ?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral itraconazole and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Salt water might cause more irritation if the skin is already inflammed. Better to avoid it. For groin fungal infection oral Itraconazole would work much better than fluconazole. I also suggest you to simultaneously use topical antifungals like either luliconazole 1% cream or sertaconazole 2% cream, 2x daily.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist