What causes reddish purple rashes on bottom of feet after grass cutting?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My husband cut the lawn the other day and the next day, he developed reddish purple blotches and the bottom of his feet and hand and it hurts him when he walks. He said it feels like walking on hot sand. He has a riding lawn mower and he was wearing sandals that day. I would like to know what plant could cause this allergic reaction.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic reaction suspected.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Development of reddish purple rashes on bottom of feet after grass cutting is suggestive of an allergic reaction.
It is difficult to name a particular plant which could have caused the allergic reaction.
The rash could be due to some insect bite also.

A clinical assessment is required at the first place.
Anti-allergic drugs like anti-histamines are usually prescribed for this kind of allergic reaction.

If the rash does not disappear even after drug treatment, some other cause has to be found out for the symptoms.

Usually bleeding disorders cause purple to reddish purple colored rashes.
However, the possibility of allergic reaction is more because the rash developed soon after exposure to grass.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 5 hours later
Thank you so much for you answer. I really do think that it is more of a bug that has caused this problem then a plant.

Thanks again

XXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Thanks and take care

Detailed Answer:
Thanks.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad