• question-icon

What causes reddish discoloration under the armpits?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: When i woke up in the morning, my shirt armpits were reddish as if put in diluted red food coloring.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload pictures, answer few questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I would recommend you to upload the pictures of the affected areas so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
Moreover have used or applied anything new on the underarms?
Are you having any ailments or taking any medicines?
Is red areas associated with itching, burning or any other complaints?
Kindly revert with the answers.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 12 hours later
Regarding your questions: I having been taking Alfuzosin 10mg tablet for about 5 years for slightly enlarged Prostate Gland. No other medications. I have been using the same deodorant for about 5 years. Did not do any thing special in the 2 days prior. When I woke up, my armpits were slightly damp. I had no noticeable blood on my armpits. I took pictures and will try to send them to you.

I forgot to mention that there has not been any itching or any other instances of the red on shirts.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pseudochromhidrosis and its causes

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the attached photographs and it seems to be pseudochromhidrosis.
It refers to coloration of otherwise colourless sweat when it reaches the surface of skin due to dyes, paints or porphyrin producing bacteria on the skin.
It can occur due to intake of snack containing red food XXXXXXX or due to red dyed labels on the clothes.
Try to recall intake of any red coloured food or red dyed clothes which might be the cause of your shirt's red armpits.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist