What causes reddish discoloration of body fluids like motions after taking Dots?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: My grand mom she has the TB yesterday she has started the course of TB with Dots. today after she got the red stool in liquid form , please advise me whether its very serious issue and she got the fever too .
Answered by Dr. Divakara 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings from Dr Divakara P

There is no need to worry. Among the TB medicine one of the medicine called Rifampicin can cause reddish discoloration of body fluids like tears , urine, saliva, motions and even sweat.

It doesn't mean anything is wrong and this will subside in few days.

Regarding fever did the fever start after the medicine was started or it was there before?

Kindly let me know.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 49 minutes later
After the medicine
Answered by Dr. Divakara 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its due to TB medicine.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for the information.

Then its just due to TB medicine but if the fever persists for more than 2 days then certain tests has to be conducted to look for other causes of fever.

In that case get Complete Hemogram, Smear for malaria, IgM Typhi dot, and urine routine test and revert back with reports.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarification feel free to ask.

Regards.
Dr. Divakara