What causes reddish bumps on the back of the thigh?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My son has red bumps on the back of his thigh. At 1st I thought it was his bathing suit rubbing him raw but there are some bumps also on his arm
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like mosquito bites

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query as well as the attached image and understand your concerns. It seems that your child has been bitten by mosquitoes. What I do not know is whether you live in an area with a lot of mosquitoes and whether dengue or malaria is endemic in your area. As of now, apply calamine lotion or some other emollient topically. You may give cetirizine once daily for the next few days.

I would not advise you to apply hydrocortisome. Although it might give a fast relief, it could depress the local immunity causing further problems.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 25 minutes later
Are you sure it doesn't look like a rash? We are in South Florida on vacation & we have had mosquitoes constantly in the room, but it looks to me like a rash. They are small red bumps & a bunch of them. I just gave him Cetirizine. Hopefully that helps!
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue cetirizine for a few days.

Detailed Answer:
It is a rash, so it should definitely look like a rash. Thanks for confirming about the mosquitoes. I had indicated mosquito bites as a possible cause of the rashes. You need to wait for a few days and hope that it would be back to normal.