What causes reddish brown semen?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Causes of reddish/brown semen
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
many possible causes

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
The reddish brown color is most likely from bleeding. There are many possible clauses for blood in the semen. The most common cause is infection so it would be good for you to get checked for infections.
Other causes include trauma to the testicles, bleeding disorders, prostate problems, excessive sexual activity, medication side effects and possible cancer, though cancer is a rare cause of blood in the semen.
If this happened only once and you have no other symptoms then just mention it to your doctor the next time you see him or her. If it has happened more than once or if you have other symptoms then make an appointment and see your doctor as soon as possible. You will need an exam and some testing done to determine the cause.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson