What causes reddeness on palms?

Posted on Wed, 2 Apr 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Yesterday I noticed slight reddening of my left and right palms and am puzzled as to what this could mean In my email I neglected to mention hat my fingertips are slightly reddened as well.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Reassurance & observation over 24-48 hrs! Detailed Answer: Greetings XXXXXXX At the outset, dont worry about it too much. If my guess is correct, from your description, it may be a 'transient' reaction that will dissapear on its own in the next 24 hrs. If it persists past this, one may need to view it slightly differently. You do not attribute any 'symptoms' to it i note other than the 'redness' issue. Again, if tenderness & itch present, one would want to consider some sort of contact dermatitis (locally induced) or some sort of allergic hypersensitivity reaction. If you general health status is OK, then dont worry about it & give it a second thought. If you have started any new medications recently or taken an odd tablet for headache etc, then this mayhave sparked it off. Hope I have allayed our fears & given you some direction to work on. Regds & Godspeed. Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist