• question-icon

What causes red ulcers with white pus on tonsils and fever?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, I had surgery to fix a CSF leak and sinus issues from previous surgery on 2/24. I don't usually get viruses but woke up yesterday with a sore throat, and 99.9 fever. Now I have large red ulcers with white stuff on them on my throat. I have one tonsil, it's red and ulcerated too, have a fever of 100.5-100.8 today, it's 100.8 now. I see my ENT on Thursday but she can't get me in before then. I thought I was immune to strep (I work with children who have disabilities, they're often ill with something but I don't usually catch it). I looked at a symptom checker, which prompted me to contact you. I have CIGNA insurance, they don't have anyone near me so I am also willing to pay out of pocket.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics should be started immediately.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Red ulcers, white stuff ( pus ) on tonsils and fever means that there is probably a bacterial purulent tonsillitis that may progress to abscess if not treated in time.

Another major reason to start immediately treatment is your CSF leak surgery that may predispose to serious conditions like meningitis through spreading of infection.

Streptococcus is the most common cause of purulent tonsillitis and antibiotics therapy is the choice to treat it.

There is need for antibiotics like penicillins, or erythromycin, or third generation cephalosporins ( if you are not allergic to any of them ) to treat such infection and these drugs are prescribed by your primary care Doctor or an ER Doctor if necessary.

I don't think you should wait till your ENT consult.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical