question-icon

What causes red stringy discharge from urine and discolored urine?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015
Question: Noticed red string when I first pee . Urine a little discolored.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (15 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
infection is the most common cause

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The red string noticed and the discoloration may be due to blood, this is the most common reason for any red changes to the urine.

Blood can be due to : (1) infection - this is the most common cause

(2)trauma
(3)stones in any part of the urinary tract
(4)side effect of medication such as aspirin and anticoagulants such as warfarin
(5)inflammatory kidney diseases
(6)bleeding disorders- if someone has a history of a bleeding disorder
(7)more serious conditions such as cancer - not as common

The urine needs to be assessed at your doctor's office. He or she can confirm the presence of blood and can also check for any evidence of infection.
Urine may also be sent to the lab so that the specific bacteria causing infection can be found.

Physical examination would also be needed.

If it is not likely infection based on examination and urine assessment then you may need imaging such as an ultrasound to take a look.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James