What causes red stools and chills?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have experienced a couple of red stools, yesterday and today. I have had chills and some shaking over the past 3 hours, I have some gas but no vomiting, I take Benicar for high blood pressure, last dose at around 4pm today. I walked 3 miles on treadmill earlier today and no problems. chill came on out of nowhere
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastrointestinal infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Red stools (mixed with blood) and chills are usually caused by bacterial infection of gastrointestinal tract. You may have also loose stools and abdominal pain with this issue. In such case, waiting at home is not a good idea. You need to have stool tests done and antibiotic prescribed.
Other possible reason of such stool is inflammatory bowels disease or colon cancer. Both conditions also need medical attention.
So please consult your doctor as soon as possible. Stool tests and blood work should be done at first. If infection seems less possible, colonoscopy should be considered.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
It is 3:00 am, my doctor will not be in for another 4 hours. Is this emergency room situation?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
It is not emergency situation. You can wait few hours.