• question-icon

What causes red spots throughout the body?

Posted on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am trying to identify red spots that have been appearing all over my body over the last week or so. I thought at first they were ant bites, but I have not been around any ants today and they are still appearing. My husband is also getting them. They do not follow a line like bedbugs usually do. And it is not poison ivy. They are red spots about 1/8 a 3/16" with a light yellow or whitish middle. They are not raised. Depending on where they appear, they may itch for just a few minutes, but most of the time I do not know that they are there until I see them. As they progress, the light interior of the spot seems to indent, dry up, and scab. They do not blister, so not chicken pox. Some of them seem to get infected with the area surrounding them becoming pink making a circle as large as 1-1/4" in diameter. I have found them on my upper legs, behind the knee, back, abdomen and groin, under arms, and forearm. We have been doing yard work, pulling weeds in the past couple of weeks, but not today and they are still appearing. I have not been re-wearing any of the clothes I worked in and all have been thoroughly washed. And the spots are appearing mostly where the skin was covered. I have not been on any meds or antibiotics.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload another picture.

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. From the images you have uploaded it looks like the red spots with a center indentation is a molluscum wart, which is usually caused by a virus. In such case, freezing, curettage or blistering solutions is the usual treatment.
The fact that this rash appears in unexposed areas and the indentation and crusting makes me think of scabies, which seems to be a more plausible possibility, given that your husband is experiencing the same thing. If this is the case, a one off treatment with permethrin cream is the usual treatment, but this depends on the area you live in.

However I am not totally convinced, so I would need to see another picture of the rash in order to get a better idea. So please upload another picture so I may be able to give you a more accurate answer. In the mean time, try to not scratch your skin with unclean hands, as this usually leads to a secondary skin infection further complicating the rash.

I hope this helps.
Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 17 hours later
I added a few more pictures. I am not sure what kind of pictures you are looking for. My phone does not take the best pics.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Scabies

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for uploading more pictures. As it is quite an unusual rash I needed to see more of it in order to get an idea.
First of all, I can confidently say that It does not look like a rash caused by an inside reaction. The spots look very much like insect bites or scabies.
Perhaps flea bites? I have seen a patient in my practice with a similar rash that turned out to be flea bites.
I recommend you stay away from any animals who may be a source of fleas, change clothes and bed sheets. Use Benadryl for relief.
If no change, then by all means see a dermatologist for further investigation.

I hope this helps.
Wishing you good health and all the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ornela Ademovi