What causes red spots on the penis head post intercourse?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Tue, 25 Oct 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Gm, I had a quick question. My boyfriend has gotten some small cuts on his penis before. Now after sex sometimes he gets these red spots on the head of his
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
provide pictures for further assessment.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM,

Red spots over head of penis is likely suggestive of infection of glans penis (balanitis) but I will need to see it in order to arrive at a certain conclusion.

So,please provide pictures of glans penis if possible.I will guide him after that.

Dr.Sandip kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 39 minutes later
He doesnt have it right now. They are just red dots that go away within two days or so. I was reading up on it, and it was saying maybe herpes. Can that be? If i get a picture i will send it
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
highly unlikely herpes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking again and sorry for the delayed response.

Since the red spots go away by themselves, it is highly unlikely herpes, so I would not think about the possibility of herpes. It might be due to some infection but visual inspection of the glans would be needed to arrive at certain conclusion.

Meanwhile, ask him to retract the foreskin gently during bathing and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin.

Also tell him to avoid using soaps as they may irritate the skin and make the inflammation worse.

Let me know if you've any further queries

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Its similar to this
Brief Answer:
Likely balanitis

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through the picture.

It is likely to be a balanitis, an infection of glans penis which could be bacterial or some times allergic (due to allergy to condom or even vaginal secretions).

Since these red spots subside by themselves, there is no need to worry. Also no need to worry about herpes.

Topical antibiotic and steroid combination cream or ointment (like a combination of Beclomethasone and Neosporin) may be helpful if it lasts longer.

Dr.Sandip kabra